We are not the first to discover that writing changes how we think, that it creates a deeper, more intimate, more powerful relationship with what we read, what we know, and what we teach. The best teachers of writing are of course writers themselves, and so in order to support students as writers, the Seven Valleys Writing Project, like all Writing Project sites, supports teachers first. We engage in research, imaginative writing, and practice leading writing groups.
Our Writing Project site, linked to SUNY Cortland in Central New York, is run for teachers and by teachers. Our site (part of the state and national network of Writing Project sites) supports the teachers in our region by providing:
- Membership in our local network of progressive teacher-colleagues, K-12;
- Opportunities to lead workshops and boards focused on writing to learn;
- Strategies for developing their own public voice and reflective practice;
- High-quality professional development in CNY;
- Reading, writing, and thinking experiences that prepare you to be a leader in writing;
- Support for your own personal and professional writing;
- Classroom strategies for using the power of writing for authentic learning from kindergarten to college and all points in between.